Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the hardest changes our Farrell's eXtreme Bodyshaping members experience, but it’s also the most rewarding. Healthy eating in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are regularly emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to work properly. Starving your body of essential nutrients is harmful to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research determined that only 1% of people who diet alone actually drop their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since beginning our 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it uncomplicated! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in how you eat.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” in our food have significantly changed over the years. We show our members how to make healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to meet their goals.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society causing obesity to become an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t count calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because a lot of foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a higher fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more significant than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you determine how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to eat good fat as it gives our bodies needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning excess sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members can celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you give your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly comprised of water, so drinking enough water is essential to our complete health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps relieve muscle soreness. Our members aim to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend a lot of money on fad diets, special meals that tally points, recording calories or removing every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and boost your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread every day with the Farrell's program too!