a gym membership in Ankeny. Eat clean and stick to a nutrition plan. Try a new workout class. Hit your goal weight.
We’ve all gone through it. It’s a new year, and we make personal resolutions. Then we abandon them in a month. Why does this occur?
1. Make Fitness Goals, Not Resolutions
Resolutions are a steadfast promise to do or not do something. Consequently, they’re absolute and can be intimidating.
Goals are a target of your effort, an ambition or a desired reaction. They sound less dreadful—and more practical.
What if you approach 2020 with the mind-set of making reachable goals, rather than setting formidable resolutions? Reframing how you think about things and being more forgiving to yourself is the first move toward improvement.
2. Create SMART Fitness Goals
Your goals for 2020 might include:
- Professional—obtaining a bigger salary in your career.
- Health—starting a strength training schedule.
- Personal—reading additional books.
Now that you’ve established your goals, how do you remain committed to accomplishing them?
SMART goals encourage you to meet objectives and recognize victories during the process.
How Do You Come Up With a SMART Goal?
SMART represents specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-based. They are definite but not intimidating.
Personal SMART goals could include:
- Read for 20 minutes before sleeping nightly this week.
- Have veggies at each meal this week.
- Walk after supper daily this week.
Creating SMART goals will help you avoid feeling defeated by what you want to do.
3. Share Your Fitness Goals with a Loved One
Don’t forget to share your goals with someone! Keeping an accountability partner can help you in keeping with your goal during the process.
4. Sign Up for a Free Week at FXB Ankeny
Ready to finally meet your fitness goals in 2020?
Creating (and meeting) goals is simply one component of the healthy lifestyle we demonstrate at Farrell's Ankeny. Start a free week and learn how we can help you reach your goals.